Development Application (DA)

A Development Application (DA) is a request that you can make to Council to carry out various types of development such as:

  •     Building a residential, commercial or industrial building
  •     Making an alteration or addition to a residential, commercial or industrial property
  •     Subdividing land
  •     Strata subdividing a building
  •     Changing the use of a building


Property Information Request

If your proposed development cannot be considered exempt or complying development, a Development Application must be submitted for Council assessment. These controls provide information regarding those minimum requirements for the lodgement of Development Applications and supporting information with Council.

Property Information Request Form(PDF, 276KB)



Pre-Lodgement Meeting

Prior to lodgement of a DA, it is requested that applicants meet and consult with Council. This meeting will assist the assessment of your development application by ensuring that all the necessary information is provided to Council officers in order to assess the proposal. Please contact Council on 6980 1100 to arrange a suitable meeting time.
The requirements in these controls are based on those statutory matters in the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and Regulations (as amended) regarding information required to support Development Applications.



Applications for development should be submitted with:

  • a completed Council Development Application
  • the prescribed fee
  • a minimum of four copies of the site and development plans at an appropriate scale (1:100, 1:200, 1:500). Where practical, plans at A3 are preferred.

The types of plans required are:

  1. A site plan showing the location of the proposed building on the site.
  2. A floor plan showing the size and uses on any building or rooms.
  3. Elevations showing the appearance, height and levels of any buildings.
  4. For any development other than residential, additional information as indicated on the development application form, is required.

Structural certificates, specification, survey certificates etc are not required to be prepared for submission with the Development Application.

Refer to the Development Applications chapter of the DCP for further detail of information to be included with a DA.
When preparing plans for submission to Council, applicants should consider the following professional services:

  • Registered Architects (or at minimum suitable plan drawing services),
  • Landscape Architects
  • Landscape Designers
  • Land Surveyors
  • Qualified Civil / Structural Engineers.

A Statement of Environmental Effects will be required to support a DA to Council. For simple applications, such as dwellings and sheds, Council has a Statement of Environmental Effects form(DOC, 107KB)  which must be completed by the applicant.

For more complex applications, further detail is necessary for assessment. Applicants should consider engaging professional consultants to assist with the preparation of their Statement of Environmental Effects.

Applicants should discuss their proposal with Council to ascertain the requirements at the pre planning stage.

Local constraints including flooding (local or major waterbodies or rivers), fill, geotechnical hazards or other constraints that may affect the site should be fully detailed in the statement of environmental effects.

Council or Private Accredited Certifier

On obtaining Development Consent, you now have a choice of having the construction plans and building inspections assessed by Council or a Private Accredited Certifier.

A Construction Certificate must be applied for and approved by either Council or a Private Accredited certifier prior to any building work being undertaken.


DA Forms and Guides